The good, the bad and the ugly!


It’s done. The laparoscopic surgery is over.  I have rested well and am recovering well.  Thank you to you all for your prayers, thoughts and loads of sms-es of support.  I hope I managed to reply to all of you through the fog of the anaesthetic.

God was so gracious and He gifted me so beautifully on the day of the op.  We got up at the crack of dawn – 4am – as we had to be at the Doc’s rooms by 06h30 (reminder that we live an hour out of town from the Doc – hence getting up so early).  En route, I was thinking how wonderful it would be if I could get my favourite anaesthetist and if I got the bed by the window in the clinic – that was my daydream for the day.  Neither seemed likely, I had been told on Wednesday that I would not be getting my favourite anaesthetist but another Doctor and of the 4 times I’ve been booked into the Clinic I’ve been in the same 2-bed room and only once been in the bed by the window which I loved to look out of.  Well God romanced me.  The receptionist walked me straight to the bed I wanted by the window (I love you, Lord) and then just a few minutes later my favourite anaesthetist , Dr G, walked to greet me.  God be praised!  The poor Doc, I was gushing so happily and thanking the Lord so profusely for sending me this gift of a man that he must have thought I was crazy with a capital C.  I kinda hope he felt more flattered than freaked out – I hope… One new thing we learnt from Dr G is that because they put me under such a deep anaesthetic, they need to have a pipe down my throat for assisted breathing – i.e. they hook me up and do the breathing for me, I DO NOT BREATH!  This had me waaay freaked out, and I learnt of this BEFORE I went under.  Eeek!  I never knew this, I knew they’d put tubes and stuff down my throat but had no idea it was for this reason.  I looked at Gary when I was told this and further pointed out to him to take note of how much I was going through when he just sat there looking pretty!!  He later bought me flowers (orange lilies, one of my favourites) so I think he got the message.  Gary was fantastic though, he was there the WHOLE time and even bit ice cubes into little pieces for me when I asked for crushed ice after coming round from the op.  How sweet is that?!

I went under late morning and the op took about an hour.  I have a history of reacting badly to anaesthetics, more specifically of coming around from them badly, and so never rule this occurrence out.  Last time I was under full anaesthetic, with my favourite Dr G, I came out beautifully, fully aware of who I was and what had happened – hence why he’s my favourite.  This time round, I came around a little rougher.  I remember waking up briefly and crying uncontrollably and then blacked out.  Apparently I carried on crying and was calling out in pain, one of the nurses gave me an injection in the butt to relieve the pain however I do not recall ANY of this!  I mean, how can I not recall a needle being jabbed into my butt?!  Crazy stuff.  It’s like a part of me is awake but the rest of me is still out for the count, a bit like sleep walking I guess.  When I did come round properly I was fine though and still happy with Dr G – he has a serene and calm presense that made me comfortable, no matter how I came out from his anaesthetic.  They told me that they had removed both the cysts and have sent them for analysis – no results given to me as yet. 

The op revealed the good, the bad and the ugly.  The good news is I had very little endometriosis (hallelujah!).  We suspect this is a result from our homeopathic route with a Homeopathic Fertility Specialist we were treated by for a couple of years after the last laparoscopy (when my body was riddled with endo).  The bad news is one of my ovaries looked like a shrivelled-up prune and the one fallopian tube was blocked.  The other ovary appears okay and the other tube has an infection.  So, am taking antibiotics and I was sent for more blood (and urine) tests today to assess what the infection is about.  The results take 24 hours so we’ll call the nurses tomorrow to ask for the results on this and the cysts analysis.  I have 3 cuts on my belly where they went in with three BIG post-op plasters covering them.  The ugly came when I had a peek at my 3 wounds a couple of nights ago and nearly hit a panick-attack with the belly button one – I do not seem to have a belly button anymore!  Seriously, it’s a hot mess of stitches and dried blood there and no sign of the button I have had my whole life.  I think they’ve stitched it closed 😦  This scares me.  Tonight I plan to take the plasters off and wash the areas well in the shower to remove the dried blood and hopefully get a clearer look at the wounds.  The stitches are dissolving ones so no need to get them removed, whew – once less appointment with the Doc. 

All in all, it wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated.  I think this is probably because there was less endo to cauterise – this I think hurts the most.  So, where to next?  I stopped my painkillers yesterday and so am really on the mend – boy did they make me dizzy which was quite fun at times 🙂  I am back at work today and feeling a little more human again.   Apart from waiting for my test results which we hope to get back tomorrow,  the Doc would like me to rest my body this month and we are looking at giving IVF one more go in November through December.  At this stage we don’t really have the funds for it but we are confident that God will make a way if it is his will.  So as we always say, we wait and watch.

The Lord will ….. have compassion on His servants when He sees their strength is gone. (NIV) Deuteronomy 32:36


2 responses »

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s